City & Guilds offers a small number of bursaries (educational grants) each year to people who would like the opportunity to study for a City & Guilds qualification in order to improve their financial situation and whom would be unable to study without support.
Although City & Guilds bursaries cover all City & Guilds/ILM qualifications, in this round, we are particularly interested in funding bursaries in the following areas:
- Health & Social Care
- Electro - technical
- Plumbing & Heating
- Chemical Industries
Note: We are now open for applications. Please read further information about City & Guilds Bursary programme on this page.
When you are ready to complete your online application please do so by clicking here.
The bursaries can be used for a wide range of purposes* including:
- Paying your course and/or exam fees
- Covering living costs if you are unable to work while you study
- Covering childcare or travel expenses
- Covering other costs that are making it difficult for you to enrol on a course.
* We do not make any retrospective payments including payments for career development or deferred loans that you may have taken out with a college or bank.
We can only consider applications for a bursary from people who are currently resident in, and wish to study in, the UK and who wish to study for a City & Guilds qualification.
Please also view the full terms and conditions below before applying. The bursary programme is very competitive and we are only able to offer a small number of bursaries each year, please also take a look at the useful links section of this website and speak to your training provider for advice on other financial support which may be available.
How to apply for a City & Guilds Bursary
The application form is designed to tell us more about your situation, why you wish to study and what your plans are. All questions are compulsory and will determine whether you are invited to interview, so please take your time and ensure that you complete all sections fully. If you want to, ask a friend or a family member for help in completing it. You will be judged on your answers not your literary ability.
You are unable to save the form throughout so you may wish to prepare answers to the following questions before beginning this form:
- Name and course code for the City & Guilds course you wish to study in the UK (see the City & Guilds qualifications page for help with this).
- What is your monthly household income?
- Why do you need financial help to do this course?
- What will be hardest for you about doing this course (other than the financial issues you are facing)?
- How will you handle those challenges?
- If you were able to complete this course, how would this help you towards financial independence?
- What will your next step be once you've finished this course?
- How would you be a good advertisement/role model for City & Guilds?
Apply for a bursary >
What happens next?
We look at all the application forms following the closing date to help us decide who to invite to an interview. Unfortunately, we can only offer interviews to a small number of people - but don't let that put you off. If you don't apply, you can't be considered.
Interviews are held either in our Head Office in London or where possible at one of our regional offices across the UK and generally last about 35 minutes. We will pay the travel costs of those who come for an interview.
You can submit your application up to 3 months before the closing date. Applications are considered twice a year - in May and October - and you will be notified soon after that whether you have been chosen to go forward to the next stage (an interview).
Bursary Timetable: Spring 2014
Thursday, 20 February 2014, 9am
|City & Guilds Bursary open for applications
|Friday, 25 April 2014, 10am
||City & Guilds Bursary application window closed
|Friday, 9 May 2014
||Applicants informed of application outcome by this date.
Outcomes after submitting application form:
- Unsuccessful application
- Successful application, applicant invited for interview
||Bursary interviews held at regional offices
|Thursday, 10 July 2014
||Bursary Advisory Board meeting to decide Bursary winners
|Thursday, 17 July 2014
Applicants informed of interview outcome by this date
Outcomes after being interviewed:
- Unsuccessful application
- Successful interview, Bursary awarded
> City & Guilds Bursary Terms & Conditions (PDF, 71KB)
> Guidance on Financial Information (PDF, 125KB)