Centre staff should familiarise themselves with the structure, content and assessment requirements of the qualification before designing a course programme.
Centres may design course programmes of study in any way which:
- best meets the needs and capabilities of their learners
- satisfies the requirements of the qualification
- includes extra topics that meet local needs, if appropriate
- combines theory and practical activities, as appropriate
When designing and delivering the course programme, centres might wish to incorporate other teaching and learning that is not assessed as part of the qualification. This might include the following:
- literacy, language and/or numeracy
- personal learning and thinking
- personal and social development
Where applicable, this could involve enabling the learner to access relevant qualifications covering these skills.