Taking the qualifications in Custodial Care, you will cover the essential skills and knowledge needed in your day-to-day role. These skills will also be important for the progression of your career. You will cover things like:
- Maintaining security and order in the custodial environment
- Testing for substance use
- Assisting in the transfer of individuals
- Helping individuals to address their offending behaviour
- Providing effective customer service.
You will learn on the job in the work environment. Assessment will also take place in the workplace and will include a portfolio of evidence to meet the criteria of each unit.
Which level is right for me?
You are relatively new in your role as prison officer and have some relevant knowledge and skills, usually from a role where you've been supervised.
You are working as a prison officer and have a great deal of technical skills and knowledge. You work with minimum supervision and have a good record of safety, fault correction and ensuring work meets the required standard.