become an apprentice banner

Become an apprentice

Advance your career with an apprenticeship

Learn more about what an apprenticeship involves, the benefits and how to find one

Whether you’re just starting your career or you'd like to upskill or retrain, nothing beats hands-on experience. A great option for both young people aged 16-19 and adults, apprenticeships allow you to train on the job so you can earn and learn across a wide range of industries at any age.

Read on to find out more about apprenticeships and how they can help you develop skills that open doors to exciting jobs and futures.

Find an apprenticeship programme

What is an apprenticeship?

An apprenticeship is a paid training programme that combines on-the-job training with off-the-job learning to support entry into skilled trades and professions.

Lasting a minimum of 12 months, apprentices spend 80% of their time gaining hands-on work experience at a company alongside experts in their chosen field. The other 20% involves classroom-based learning with a training provider to complement their developing industry skills.

At the end of their apprenticeship programme, learners undergo an end-point assessment to evaluate their command of the core knowledge, skills and behaviours required for their apprenticeship standard.

“I believe the best thing about being an apprentice is the wide range of people you meet within the industry. Being introduced to different job roles and different people gave me a real understanding of what working life in the industry is really like.”

– Millie Norman, engineering apprentice

What are the benefits of an apprenticeship?

An apprenticeship is a well-respected and popular route into industry. Some of the main benefits include:

  • Apprenticeship standards are employer-led, so apprentices develop in-demand skills that industry wants and needs
  • Opportunity to earn and learn at the same time
  • As an active member of the workplace, apprentices can put the knowledge, skills and behaviours they’re learning into practice every day
  • Working alongside experts in their field, apprentices build industry connections and deepen their understanding of their chosen sector opening more doors for career progression and development
  • Developing career skills and confidence

Read more about why to choose an apprenticeship

City & Guilds apprenticeship standards

At City & Guilds we’ve been ensuring the skills you’re learning are the ones your employer needs for over 145 years. And because we know what we’re doing, you can be confident in joining the 90% that pass their apprenticeship at City & Guilds with flying colours, giving you the skills you need to succeed.

We partner with hundreds of training providers and employers to offer over 60 apprenticeship standards covering many different industries including construction and building services engineering, manufacturing, business and administration, digital. health and social care, transport, and more.

Explore our standards

Find an apprenticeship

Explore available programmes and find the right programme for you:


Explore apprenticeship options with Ucas’ online search tool.

Find out more


Search and apply for thousands of apprenticeship vacancies across the UK via